Matt Mahoney is the rare breed of litigator who does not believe in fighting for the sake of the fight. A fierce defender of his clients’ interests, his goal is to work with clients at the onset of a dispute when they have the most options for a result that is in their best interests.
Matt represents clients in all types of commercial litigation from complex multi-party business disputes to simple commercial contract actions and arbitrations.
Complementing his breadth of experience is a focused practice in the area of professional liability. He has extensive experience representing law firms and individual attorneys in defense of professional malpractice claims and malicious prosecution claims.
Because of his multi-dimensional perspective, business professionals often seek him out to provide a litigation perspective on issues involving client ethics, partnership agreements, firm dissolutions, and employment issues such as non-competes and trade secrets.
Matt received his B.A., magna cum laude, from the University of Notre Dame in 1997. He earned his law degree, cum laude, from the University of San Diego School of Law in 2000 where he was a member of the San Diego Law Review.
- Represents law firms and individual attorneys in defense of professional malpractice claims and malicious prosecution claims
- Obtained numerous dismissals of malicious prosecution actions through filing Anti-SLAPP motions
- Briefed and argued Anti-SLAPP motions before the Fourth District Court of Appeal
- Represents financial Institutions in judicial and non-judicial actions and proceedings
- Represents guarantors in the defense of guaranty enforcement actions and proceedings
- Represents lenders in judicial and non-judicial actions and proceedings, and lender liability actions
- Represents tenants in commercial lease disputes, including cases involving aviation leases, restaurant leases, retail leases, and office leases trying both plaintiff and defense cases
- Represents clients in partnership and corporate disputes, including breach of fiduciary duty claims and dissolution actions
- Represents parties in shareholder direct and derivative actions
- Represents clients in all manner of contract disputes, from complex multi-party business disputes to simple commercial contract actions and arbitrations
Professional Affiliations & Admissions
- State Bar of California
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of California
- San Diego County Bar Association
Professional Awards & Honors
- Best of the Bar, 2016 - San Diego Business Journal
- Awarded membership into the Order of the Barristers
- Recognized by the San Diego County Bar Association for an "outstanding act of civility in the legal community" (2008)