Charles Witham works hard to earn his clients’ trust and to demonstrate what it means to be a trusted advisor. Because of his ability to move seamlessly between the roles of deal maker and business strategist, clients value him equally for his ability to get deals done right and to be an objective sounding board when making tough decisions.
With an MBA, real estate broker’s license and law firm management experience, Chuck brings a business perspective that is rare among lawyers. He provides practical and efficient legal assistance in a timely, responsible and effective manner.
He counsels clients on a broad range of complex business and legal issues, including general counseling of established and emerging companies regarding entity formation and governance, employment matters, mergers & acquisitions, reorganizations, and protection of trade secrets and other proprietary information.
Chuck received his B.S. in business administration, summa cum laude and Phi Beta Kappa, from Mary Washington College in 1994. He was awarded his law degree, cum laude and Order of the Coif, from the University of San Diego School of Law in 1998. Chuck also served as “Editor-in-Chief” of the San Diego Law Review and was the 1998 recipient of the USD Bancroft-Whitney American Jurisprudence Award. Chuck received his MBA from the University of San Diego School of Business in 1999.
Prior to founding the firm, Chuck was a shareholder at Seltzer Caplan McMahon Vitek in San Diego, California, where he practiced law for 15 years.
- Licensed by the State Bar of California.
- Member of the San Diego County Bar Association (Business and Corporate Law, Real Property Law and Intellectual Property Law Sections).
- Rated "AV Preeminent" by Martindale-Hubbell’s® peer review process.
- Rated 10/10 by AVVO’s independent review process.
- Licensed by the California Department of Real Estate (DRE) as a Broker/Salesperson since 1992.
- Member of the Association for Corporate Growth (ACG) since 2008.
- Member of Entrepreneurs’ Organization (EO) since 2019.
- Past President of the Barristers of San Diego.
- Served on the Board of Directors for the Barristers of San Diego.
- Served on the Board of Directors for the California State Oriental Medical Association (CSOMA).
- Formations, reorganizations and dissolutions of business entities, including corporations, limited liability companies (LLC’s), general partnerships (GP’s), limited partnerships (LP’s) and limited liability partnerships (LLP’s).
- Represents numerous lawyers, CPA’s, architects and registered investment advisors in business and corporate matters, including formations and strategic business planning, negotiation of employment agreements, stock purchase and redemption agreements, mergers, reorganizations and professional contracts.
- Represents a broad range of physicians (including individuals and medical groups), dentists, acupuncturists, psychologists, veterinarians, physical therapists and other professionals in business and corporate matters, including the negotiation of employment agreements, stock purchase and redemption agreements and professional services contracts.
- Represents physicians, medical groups and other health care professionals in a broad range of business, transactional and compliance matters, including mergers and acquisitions, sales, reorganizations, physician self-referral (Stark), anti-kickback and HIPAA compliance issues.
- Represents physician groups in the structure, creation and implementation of Management Services Organizations (MSO’s) and Management Services Agreements (MSA’s)
- Represents beer brewing and other beverage companies in business and corporate matters, including formations, strategic business planning, protection of intellectual property and raising capital.
- Represented the seller of a $345 million building products manufacturing company.
- Represented the seller of a $210 million packaging and plastics manufacturing company.
- Represented the sellers of significant regional medical and ophthalmology practices.
- Represented the sellers of several leading regional veterinary practices and veterinary hospitals.
- Represented the seller of a wholesale mortgage lending company.
- Represented the seller of a leading regional property management company.
- Represented the purchaser of several leading regional distributors of janitorial supplies and chemical products.
- Represented sellers and purchasers of professional medical, dental, psychological, acupuncture, veterinary and legal (law firm) practices.
- Represented sellers and purchasers of automobile dealerships and affiliated entities.
- Represents real estate interests of companies and individuals engaged in real property investment and development transactions.
- Represents companies engaged in the development and construction of multi-use real estate projects (including office, retail and residential).
- Experienced in Federal trademark matters, including the selection, registration and protection of trademarks, maintaining registered trademarks and assignment of trademarks.
Presentations and Lectures
Chuck frequently speaks on business issues and he has presented educational seminars and lectures on various topics including:
- Negotiating Letters of Intent (sponsored by The North County Estate Planning Council – San Diego).
- Preparing Buy-Sell Agreements and Shareholders’ Agreements (sponsored by The North County Estate Planning Council – San Diego).
- Annual Corporate Law and LLC updates (sponsored by the San Diego County Bar Association, Business & Corporate Law Section).
- Federal trademark registration practices.
- Selecting California business entities.
- Establishing and operating healthcare practices.
- Negotiating and implementing construction agreements.
Professional Awards and Memberships
- SuperLawyers: Top Rated Mergers & Acquisitions Attorney
- San Diego County Bar Association: Past Business & Corporate Law Advisory Board Member.
- San Diego Magazine: Top Lawyers in San Diego – Business/Corporate & Securities Law.
- San Diego Business Journal: Best of the Bar Award Recipient.
- The Best Lawyers in America: Top Rated Corporate Law Attorney